General Statement: Under the direction of the Director, this employee performs janitorial and light maintenance duties throughout the library building, inside and out, and on library grounds.
1. Sweeps and cleans floors spot clean carpets as needed
2. Empties waste baskets, removes trash to dumpster
3. Dusts furniture and chairs, dusts book shelves, tops and spines of books,
4. Dusts windowsills, cleans table tops, desk tops and chairs.
5. Removes finger marks and scuffs from walls and doors inside and out.
6. Checks and replenishes soap, towels and toilet tissue dispensers
7. Keeps entrance areas clear of debris, inside and out
8. Cleans restrooms, including walls, floors, basins, bowls, seats and mirrors
9. Washes windows
10. Cleans kitchenettes
11. Keeps inventory of cleaning and maintenance supplies and communicates needs to the Director for purchase.
12. Notifies director of outside or special help is needed for special tasks or repairs.
13. Keeps inventory of light bulbs needing to be changed and communicates needs to the Director.
14. Perform minor repair work, such as painting, concrete and drywall repair, basic plumbing,
15. Upkeep of grounds as needed including planting, weeding and watering
16. Secure parts and supplies as needed
17. Alert Director to any building problems, make suggestions as appropriate
18. Move furniture as needed
19. Minor carpentry repairs
20. Additional duties, as required.
Abilities, Skills, and Knowledge:
1. Ability to climb ladders and perform cleaning
2. Ability to move and clean under furniture
3. Ability to lift and move cleaning equipment and supplies
4. Experience in basic maintenance troubleshooting and repair tasks including plumbing, drywall and painting.
5. Ability to handle and work proficiently with common hand and power tools, screwdrivers, drills, saws, wrenches and hammers.
6. Knowledge and ability to do minor landscaping
7. Ability to work independently and keep busy
8. Must be physically able to lift materials weighing 50 lbs.
Education and Experience:
1. High School degree or equivalency preferred
2. Custodial experience preferred