Job Opening: CIRCULATION CLERK (PART-TIME)
Open Until Filled
: Under general supervision, performs a variety of non-professional library work of routine difficulty requiring some specialized knowledge.
Distinguishing Features: The work involves performance of clerical and library-specific tasks involving the application of standard library routines which are learned on the job.
Work is performed under the supervision of a professional librarian, although employee may work with some independence once procedures are learned.
20 hours/week guaranteed. Hours will change each week.
Must be able to work all shifts, including days, evenings (until 8pm) and Saturdays.
1. Circulates library materials to patrons. Collects & accounts for monies for fines, printouts, copies and faxes.
2. Registers patrons, assists patrons in the selection and location of library materials and assists patrons with reference questions.
3. Refers requests for materials not in the library to the proper source.
4. Places materials on hold and notifies patrons of items on hold.
5. Shelve library materials and keeps the collection in order.
6. Searches for missing books.
7. Schedules use of the meeting room, tutor rooms and monitors public-use computer lab.
8. Maintains lobby bulletin board and other public pamphlet displays.
9. Does routine housekeeping and general maintenance of computers, printers & copier such as refilling cartridges and paper.
10. Additional duties as required.
Abilities, Skills, and Knowledge
1. Knowledge and interest in books and literature.
2. Some knowledge of major references, including the internet.
3. Knowledge of general clerical methods and procedures, including keyboarding and computer skills.
4. Ability to meet and deal effectively with library patrons.
5. Ability to understand and follow oral and written instruction.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms, stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, grasp, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls, talk and hear. Hand-eye coordination necessary to operate computers and various office equipment. The employee is occasionally required to climb, balance, stoop and crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Education and Experience:
Experience in public contact work is preferred.
Salary: Starting at minimum wage